Who's Who: Chuck


Name: Charles (Chuck) Wilson
Born: 1918 - Comfort, Texas
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 158 lbs.
Eyes: Green
Hair: Red

Chuck is from the Hill Country of Texas, a region heavily settled in the 19th century by German immigrants. Chuck's grandfather came to Comfort in 1869 from Prussia. The family name was Weiss until World War I. Anti-German sentiment was strong in the U.S. then. Some Texans of German descent felt a need to prove their loyalty and patriotism. Chuck's father was one of them. He changed the family name to Wilson, after the President, and enlisted in the Army. He was killed six months after he arrived in France. Chuck was born two months later.

Chuck's grandfather made sure he was aware of his German heritage, but it was not important to him. He was just like any other American boy growing up in the roaring '20s. His summers were spent working hard on ranches as a cowboy. In school, he studied hard. And he played hard, too. Like many of his cowboy friends, he enjoyed a good, old-fashioned brawl. He went to Texas A&M where he majored in engineering. But in his second year at college, Germany invaded Poland and, once again, anti-German feelings stirred in America. Though Chuck did not think of himself as German, others did and he was harrassed and threatened. Like his father, Chuck felt a need to demonstrate that he was an American. And, though he was proud of his German ancestry, he had grown to hate what Germany had become. In a way, he felt as if the Germany he had been told about as a child by his grandfather was now a country occupied by the Nazis, just as they occupied Poland.

Chuck left college and traveled to England where he enlisted the Royal Air Force. He left the RAF to join the Blackhawks. Though good-natured, Chuck can also be a deadly enemy.



Back to Who's Who Page

All characters, pictures, and related indicia on these pages are the property of DC Comics. All text is ©1998-2001 Dan Thompson, except where otherwise noted. This homepage is not intended to infringe on the copyright of DC Comics to its characters, but was created out of gratitude to all the wonderful writers, artists, and editors who created the Blackhawks.