Who's Who: Stan


Name: Stanislau Dembczyński
Born: 1913 - Poznań, Poland
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 200 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Blonde

The first to join forces with Blackhawk, the Polish muscleman watched as his family and friends died, victims of the Nazi scourge.

Stan was a brilliant student at the Politechnicka Poznańska (Poznan University of Technology). He also excelled at athletics, especially wrestling and weight lifting. But when the Nazis came to power in Germany, he realized the threat to Poland. His home city, Poznań, is in a part of Poland that was ruled by Germany for decades prior to WW I and its inhabitants fully expected that Germany would try to seize it again.

When Stan completed his studies, he joined the Polish military, where he became a pilot in its small but professional air force. He survived the invasion in 1939 and continued to fight in the resistance. There he met another man who had forseen the coming conflict and had volunteered to defend the country most likely to be the first target of the Nazis. That man had lost his own family to the Nazis and had sworn vengence. He was Blackhawk. Blackhawk and Stan fought valiantly against overwhelming odds, but eventually all their fighter planes where shot out of the sky or destroyed on the ground by the Nazi Blitzkrieg. The two pilots escaped from Poland to England, where they met other pilots from occupied countries and formed the Blackhawks.



Back to Who's Who Page

All characters, pictures, and related indicia on these pages are the property of DC Comics. All text is ©1998-2001 Dan Thompson, except where otherwise noted. This homepage is not intended to infringe on the copyright of DC Comics to its characters, but was created out of gratitude to all the wonderful writers, artists, and editors who created the Blackhawks.