Polikarpov Po-2 vs Focke Wulf FW 190D-9

At first glance, it might seem that the FW 190D's superior speed and armament would leave the Po-2 helpless in a fight between the two. The Night Witches were vulnerable to enemy night fighters, but they developed tactics that turned the mismatch between their aircraft to their advantage. The Po-2 was very slow but it was also very maneuverable. When a German fighter tried to intercept it, the Russian plane could turn nimbly away at much less than the enemy's minimum speed (stall speed), forcing the German to make a wide circle to come in for another pass. He was again met with the same evasive tactic, and then again and again. Many Russian pilots got down to nearly earth-level, flying low enough to be hidden behind hedgerows! The German fighter could only try time after time, until he became frustrated and left the Po-2 alone. No wonder that German pilots were promised an Iron Cross for shooting down a Po-2.

The stall speed of the FW 190D-9 Dora was 110 mph, so the Focke Wulf could never equal the speed of the Po-2. Even the Russian biplane's top speed was less than the German fighter's stall speed.

See the table below for a direct comparison of the specifications and performance of the aircraft.

Specifications


Polikarpov Po-2

Focke Wulf FW 190D-9
Length
26 feet, 10 inches
33 ft. 5 1/4 in
Wingspan
37 feet, 5 inches
34 ft. 5 1/3 in
Height
10 feet, 2 inches
11 ft. 1/4 in
Weight (empty)
1,400 lbs
1,586 lb
Speed (max)
97 mph
426 mph
Service Ceiling
13,125 ft
40,000 ft
Range
249 miles
520 miles
Armament
One 7.62 mm (0.30 in) ShKAS machine
gun on ring mounting in rear cockpit
Two 20mm MG 151 cannons
and two 13mm MG 131 machine guns


Back to Blackhawk New Adventures Page


All characters, pictures, and related indicia on these pages are the property of DC Comics. All text is ©2001 Dan Thompson, except where otherwise noted. This homepage is not intended to infringe on the copyright of DC Comics to its characters, but was created out of gratitude to all the wonderful writers, artists, and editors who created the Blackhawks.


order=0